Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Baraka Film Review

As we watched the movie Baraka, my first impression was amazed but also confused at the same time. In the beginning I wanted to know why they were showing us these unique places and the meaning behind everything. But at the same time I was astonished by the locations they picked because it opened up your eyes to a new world. I never thought what other countries would look like exactly. They are very unique and are "jaw-dropping". I thought that the different locations and cultures was a good comparison to our own culture and city that we live in. You really get to see the other side of the world in a matter of minutes!  This movie just doesn't focus on one region in the world, but it focuses on a lot of different places that shape our world. The cinematography in this movie is absolutely beautiful. There was a lot of slow motion, panning, and speeding up of clips. Most of the shots are held long enough for us to depict the beauty of the scene and the beauty of nature. I believe that the music choice helps give us a range of emotions from the range of the musics high beats to low beats throughout the movie. Overall I believe that the movie tells us about the beauty of life no matter where you may be located.

1. I believe that the movie is titled "breathe" because I think that the directors are trying to tell us that life is beautiful and we need to breathe. A lot of people in this world tend to rush through things and pass by opportunities. I also believe that the movie is titled "breathe" because were breathing in new insights of places we may or have never seen before.

2. I think that the planetary perspective of the film does express a critique of the modern world. The movie shows us different locations, people and animals around the world. I believe that the movie tries to contrast the different types of living style throughout the different cultures and landscapes in the world.
3. The message I received from the film "Baraka" is that our life has been corrupted by technology and sometimes we dwell too much around the fancy machinery we have instead of just sitting outside and enjoying the nature that we have around us. I also feel that the movie "Baraka" tells us that we need to respect the nature aspect of our world and not lean on technology so much.
4. I believe that the absence of voice and text doesn't really affect the film at all. I believe this because it allows us to take in what we see and not have to listen/read and watch at the same time. I believe that this technique is used with a purpose and that purpose is to let us see the world without any distractions.



5. The images I saw that  applied to culture was the performance of Kecak at the temple Tampaksiring, Bali, Indonesia. This related to nature because it is part of their natural culture in Indonesia and they believe in it. Also because their natural culture is what they practice and they think it is beautiful. The images I saw that applied to the city was the Shibuya Station, Tokyo, Japan. This contrasts to nature because it shows us how busy our cities are and how unnatural it is compared to nature in general. It also shows how corrupted our lives are becoming from the natural world.

6. Some possible interpretations of the monk on the street following the images of the cigarette factory and the city streets is that the monk represents pure nature and what it use to be like while the cigarette factory and the streets resemble the impacted world that has been corrupted by the new findings in technology. Technology has made humans forget the real beauty of nature in this world and how pure it use to be.

7. The kind of social statement that the film "Baraka" makes with the people on the refuse heap and the images of the poor is to show the differences in life styles. Some people are good financially while others  are fighting for a better life. The images show the differences between what people have and the other side which is what people don't have.
8. The music that stood out to me was the music that related to what was being shown in the film. When something calm and beautiful was being shown there would be soothing music. And when something exciting or interesting was being shown then the music would get louder and the beat would get faster.
9. I believe we watched "Baraka" to show us what the world holds for us. I believe that this movie is to show us that our world is made up of many different things but the one thing we have in common is our nature. I also think that this movie helps expose us to the beauty and reality of our world that we live in each and every day. The only way that this vision could arise without seeing this film would to go and actually see these locations physically. This film definitely makes me want to travel because I want to see what else is out there in our world to discover. I also want to see the different sides of culture and living styles compared to what we have here in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment